Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Call Super Nanny please!!

Some days, I think I might need the services of Super Nanny.

Do not get me wrong. I believe I have an amazing child. He’s funny, very bright and he can be so sweet and helpful. But some days...he just ticks me off! And now that we’re living with my mom, it’s like he goes back and forth between us both. But she’s on a shorter string than I am and snaps a whole lot sooner.

There are things that I know he does on purpose. Just for the reaction. I know this because the other night he was getting under Nana’s skin and for the life of me as I sit here now and write this, I can’t seem to remember what it was he was doing to her. But after she had gotten on his case about it he started to head upstairs. Where she was sitting her back was to the staircase and I was sitting sort of, off to the side of that so I had a view of both of them. He looked over at me and I said something about, ‘Quit trying to drive Nana crazy on purpose.’ Now he gets this grin on his face and he points at her, then makes a motion into his hand as if he was pushing an imaginary button and mouths the words to me, “I like to push her buttons!”

I was shocked! I mean I can obviously tell that it’s true, but for him to admit it kind of threw me for a loop. So I said to him, “You do that to me too don’t you?” He says, “What?” Me, “Push my buttons on purpose.” He rolls his eyes and says “Oh whatever.” And he continues on upstairs.

But he does, I will literally catch him staring at me out of the corner of my eye while he is doing something he knows drives me nuts. It’s like he’s watching my blood pressure shoot through the roof and the steam start to come out of my ears while he does these things. Like, he has this habit of pounding on things. I’m not sure how else to describe it. Drumming! He will like drum on things. Tap, tap, tap, tap, tap. It’s usually when I’m either trying to concentrate on something, or I’m watching something, or I’M ON THE PHONE.

Why do kids do that? I find myself saying one of the huge parent lines all the time.

“You wanted nothing to do with me 5 minutes ago. Now that I’m on the phone you won’t leave me alone!!”

I feel like I need to go apologize to my mother or something. She used to use that one on me all the time. And it’s not usually that he’s just bugging me for nothing, it’s like he will sit there and listen to my end of the conversation and think he knows what’s going on, so he’ll either correct what I’m saying or try to pipe in with his own answers until I snap. And sometimes even after that.

I love him, I really, really do. But, ugh why must they test their boundaries. And why must they do it so often??

1 comment:

Angie said...

I am so thankful I am not the only one who that this happens to. Caleb knows exactly how to start my day off in a bad way. He is my morning person. I am so not! He'll wake up happy and ready to go. Then he wakes up his little brother, grumpy, like me, and Caleb just wants to play. Ugh! And he does the drumming thing too!! Just being a boy I guess, but it does not make our job any easier! Thanks for sharing Sheri!!