Friday, May 23, 2008

Please Lord do not let me become my mother!

So I’ve decided that my family is insane. Now I know everyone says that about their family but I am serious. They are just plain nuts.

My mother is one of my best friends. She truly is. But since living with her I’ve realized…. I DO NOT want to become my mother. Not to say she’s a bad person. That’s not it. She’s a wonderful person, sometimes, with a heart of gold, again… sometimes. But there are some, oh I don’t know what you would call them. Traits? Personality flaws? Whatever they may be.

She can be very rude.

Now like I said, she IS a wonderful woman and she has a heart of gold. If you know her. But if you’re meeting her for the first time, she comes of kind of… I guess stuck up would be a good term. I’m not quite sure how else to put it. When being introduced to people she will shake their hand and not really look them in the eye and give you a pretty short, “hello.” Without having any warmth or welcome in her voice. I know that it’s coming from deep roots of insecurity on her part but from an outsiders perspective it comes off as being stuck up.

She has no patience.

Mostly this comes with children who are not related to her. The younger they are, the less patience she has for them. Especially crying babies. It also comes with people who are, oh I’m not sure how to put this, waiting on her I suppose. Like being in a restaurant. If you are ever to have the pleasure of waiting on her, wow good luck to you! If they’re not fast enough she gets an attitude. She sighs, and I’m not talking about those cute little, ‘*sigh* I wonder what he’s doing right now I’m so in love!!’ types of sighs. We’re talking, ‘*sigh* Why did I even bother coming here?!!’ types. And sometimes she will even make comments. It can be embarrassing!

She cries over…. NOTHING!!

Now I can be a very emotional person myself. I won’t deny that. But when I do it’s for a valid reason! She gets upset and cries over nothing! A perfect example was just this past weekend. Sunday we all went to church that morning and we had planned the day before that after church we would all go and see the new Narnia movie. My son and I have been dying to see it. Well we were all hungry after church so we ran home to have lunch and then we’re sitting there and my mom decides we’ll go to the later show so we don’t have to go and rush back into town and then we would just pick dinner up on the way home. Well we were sitting there and she mentioned she was tired and could use a nap. I said well you know we don’t have to go see the movie tonight, we could go on your next day off or the next time you get off work early. She says that would be great we could go Monday, but she still wanted to run into town to pick up dinner because she didn’t want to feel like cooking. I asked if she was sure and she said yes of course. We’ve decided what we want. She leaves with Taylor to go pick it up. They get home and she has this major attitude. She’s walking around setting things down roughly and just got this ticked off look on her face. So I ask her what’s wrong. And it happens…. She starts crying. “Dinner cost more than I thought it was and I had to use part of the movie money!” I snapped. I just couldn’t take it by then because this wasn’t the first emotional outburst without reason. I’ll admit I cussed at her and let her know just how stupid I thought it was to be upset about and who cares so we go later on in the week after payday.

Ok so maybe I was a bit too harsh there and I shouldn’t have said exactly what I did. But I’m scared! Please lord do not let me become my mother!

No comments: